On this week’s episode of the Awful Announcing podcast, host Ben Heisler is joined by Los Angeles Dodgers/MLB on Fox broadcaster Joe Davis to talk his career, advice from Vin Scully, how he’s staying busy during quarantine, and much more.
Here’s the full breakdown.
- 0:21: Podcast Introduction
- 5:30: Introduction with Joe Davis
- 6:35: How he’s stayed busy throughout quarantine/stay-at-home in CA
- 8:47: Favorite spots around the country to find the best smoked meat in America
- 10:04: First interest in broadcasting and how he started calling his first games
- 11:05: The first broadcasters he emulated early on
- 15:13: Getting letters/DMs asking for broadcast advice after he did it when he was a kid
- 17:00: His college football days – was he good with the media as an athlete?
- 18:25: His time in Montgomery, taking every broadcast and gig that he possibly could during that time
- 22:20: What was his first “Welcome to the Big Leagues, kid” type of moment?
- 23:30: Reflecting on taking over for Vin Scully after getting the Dodgers job
- 24:41: The unbelievable advice Vin Scully passed along, and who he got that same advice from
- 26:23: Does he miss play-by-play on radio?
- 27:24: How he envisions the baseball season going post Corona Virus
- 30:00: How will the Astros scandal discussion likely unfold once the season begins?
- 32:57: How he’d like to see baseball improve/connect with younger fans
- 34:30: If he’s had conversations on potentially adapting to betting information/more advanced stats into the broadcast
- 36:15: RAPID-FIRE!
Thanks for listening, and if you enjoyed the show, be sure to subscribe on iTunes and leave us a positive review.