On this week’s edition of the Awful Announcing podcast, host Ben Heisler chats with ESPN broadcaster Bob Wischusen about calling college football games, auditioning for the XFL, loving Phish, and more.
Here’s the full breakdown of the conversation between Heisler and Wischusen.
- 3:05 – Life on the road
- 6:30 – Why calling college football trains you to be ready for any sportscasting opportunity
- 10:07 – What he considers the most difficult sport to do play-by-play for, and why you might be surprised by his answer
- 16:20 – Feeling comfortable as a broadcaster and early influences
- 21:00 – How he seeks out feedback on his broadcasts
- 24:25 – Going to Boston College, calling games and doing shows with Joe Tessitore and Boog Sciambi/Wanting to compete against them because of how talented they are
- 28:15 – Does he ever wish he would’ve stayed with talk radio and would he like to have his own full-time show down the road?
- 31:40 – How his gravitation to the talk radio side usually stems from moments when he’s watching games
- 35:20 – Is there different preparation for the different analysts he works with (eg. Dick Vitale vs Fran Fraschilla)
- 37:40 – How he tanked his audition for the XFL
- 41:07 – His love for Phish and the first time he ever saw them live
Thanks for listening, and make sure to subscribe on iTunes and leave us a review.