This week’s episode of the Awful Announcing podcast sees host Ben Heisler talk with MLB Network’s Greg Amsinger about Amsinger’s career at the network, what made him want to get into sports media, his relationship with analysts at the network and more.Subscribe on iTunes!Here’s a breakdown of what Amsinger discussed with Heisler:
- 2:20 – On his 11 years at MLB Network
- 3:00 – What changed in his life early on that made him want to pursue this as a career
- 4:40 – Growing up with seven siblings
- 6:30 – How acting class were monumental for his career growth
- 8:10 – Why he needs to be reactive to be successful and how that’s different than “not preparing”
- 12:00 – When he knew he could be more reactionary and not relying on notes/scripts etc
- 14:30 – On handling producers not liking that he shares his opinions and not just “tees up analysts”
- 15:40 – Did he ever want to do radio or be a talk show host?
- 17:00 – His love for radio
- 17:50 – On working with Adam Zucker, Michelle Beadle & Kathryn Tappen back in the day at CSTV
- 19:20 – His relationship with the other analysts at MLB Network, notably Harold Reynolds
- 21:20 – What would he like to do that he hasn’t done at the network yet?
- 23:00 – Why people continue to fight the changes and adaptations that baseball is looking to make
- 27:00 – “Dead Brain Heavers”
- 29:45 – Would MLB consider changing where and how they hold the MLB Draft?
- 33:00 – Mike Shannon stories
- 35:00 – How does he avoid/stay off social media with his job?
Thanks for listening, and if you enjoyed the show, be sure to subscribe on iTunes and leave us a positive review.