On this week’s Awful Announcing podcast, host Ben Heisler was joined by ESPN’s Chris Fowler to talk about College GameDay, tennis, the College Football Playoff, and a whole lot more.
Here’s the full breakdown.
- 3:00 – Why he loves creating a bunch of new content on Instagram/Why it’s more positive than Twitter
- 4:30 – Finding a good balance between talking sports vs life on social media
- 6:05 – Was leaving Gameday emotional for you?
- 8:41 – Does he still watch the show?
- 10:02 – His first interest in college football living in State College
- 12:08 – Early influences in the broadcast world
- 14:29 – His father being a Theater Professor and if there’s any influence in getting him started in sportscasting/speaking
- 17:00 – On finding ways to stand out when newer generations are growing up comfortable in front of a camera
- 18:58 – Starting at ESPN just a few years out of college
- 22:02 – Does he ever think of the “what if?” Including a decision for him at ESPN that would’ve taken him away from the Gameday opportunity
- 25:30 – On the decision to move from Gameday to more play-by-play coverage, specifically the Saturday night game of the week
- 27:05 – What stands out the most in the 25+ years of being a part of the show
- 32:53 – On his time broadcasting tennis and how long it took him to get comfortable doing play-by-play for it
- 36:58 – Previewing the National Championship / Megacast talk
Thanks for listening, and if you enjoyed the show, be sure to subscribe on iTunes and leave us a positive review.