We shift gears (quite literally and figuratively) for this week’s podcast by heading to the world of Formula One and open wheel racing. To do so we welcome NBC play by play man Leigh Diffey. In addition to his work calling F1, Leigh calls the network’s IndyCar coverage and received acclaim for his announcing at the Sochi Olympics at the Sanki Sliding Center. Topics include…
– His journey from Australia to the UK to the United States in his broadcast career.
– His experience in Sochi and the challenges of calling a completely new sport.
– Being able to go between calling F1 and IndyCar racing.
– How controversy sells in F1 and the various issues presently facing the sport including top team Red Bull threatening to quit.
– Lewis Hamliton’s dominating win in Australia and why having teammate Nico Rosberg be his chief rival is good for the sport.
– The struggles of McLaren and how teams can catch up to Mercedes.
– 17 year old Max Verstappen and the young stars of F1.
– Whether or not Mercedes can complete a perfect season.
F1 and open wheel racing fans definitely want to tune in to this week’s edition of the AA Podcast.
For more from Leigh, follow him on Twitter @leighdiffey.