With the dawn of the 2014 MLB Postseason, we’re joined by one of the best playoff pitchers of the last generation – John Smoltz. After an illustrious career with the Atlanta Braves, Smoltz moved to the broadcast booth and has been a consistent presence covering the sport. In today’s podcast, we talk about John’s TV career, his duel with Jack Morris, and which pitcher is most important this postseason. Topics include…
– Starting in television right away after his playing days and the differences in preparation between his analyst and pitching jobs.
– The differences in postseason pitching versus the regular season.
– The state of the game and pace of play issues.
– Why John is against the one game Wild Card round and why a Best of 3 series would be more fitting.
– Memories of his postseason duel with Jack Morris in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series and whether that is his defining playoff moment even in defeat.
– The pressure on Jon Lester against the Royals to justify Billy Beane’s risky midseason trade.
– Why Washington is the favorite and best positioned team to win the World Series.
– Why Adam Wainwright is the most important pitcher this postseason.
John will be part of MLB Network’s Postseason coverage, which includes Game Two of the NLDS between the Nationals and Dodgers this Saturday at 930pm & Game Three of the NLDS between the Nationals and the winner of the Pirates/Giants game on Monday, October 6. He’ll also appear throughout the postseason on Fox Sports.