I never thought I would live to see the day that a High School student would be on television signing a piece of paper nevermind that this practice would get 7 hours devoted to it. But alas, here we are.
Tomorrow is National signing day and ESPN is pulling out all the stops. I almost wish I had ESPNU to watch how they plan on filling those seven hours. Here are some of the highlights you can watch for if you do…
ESPNU will headline ESPN’s robust multimedia coverage of National Signing Day Wednesday, Feb. 6, with a seven-hour special, ESPNU Recruiting Insider: National Signing Day Special presented by 76 from noon to 7 p.m. ET. The show will be highlighted by exclusive live player announcements from several players ranked in the ESPN 150, including #2 Julio Jones (Foley HS, Ala.), #4 Terrell Pryor (Jeannette HS, Pa.), #9 Darrell Scott (St. Bonaventure HS, Calif.) and #28 Brandon Harris (Booker T. Washington HS, Fla.). Lowell Galindo, ESPNU’s primary anchor, will host with Mike Gottfried, Dave Ryan and ESPN’s Scouts, Inc. analysts Tom Luginbill, Todd McShay and Craig Haubert.
I love the use of the word robust in that release. I would have gone with “over-the-top”, but robust works. Sounds like fun though…wait there’s more?
* ESPN2 will televise a special hour-long edition of College Football Live at 2 p.m., with studio host Dari Nowkhah and analysts Jesse Palmer and Robert Smith, and will then simulcast ESPNU’s coverage from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
* There will also be some elements of National Signing Day on SportsCenter and First Take.
* ESPNEWS will begin coverage Tuesday, Feb. 5, with live updates from Luginbill, who will provide analysis on the 2008 recruiting class during the HotList from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
* ESPN Radio will offer its listeners coverage of National Signing Day through several of its most popular franchises, including Mike & Mike in the Morning, The Herd with Colin Cowherd, The Mike Tirico Show and SportsNation.
* New to the ESPN family, RISE Magazine, one of the nation’s largest high school sports publications, will provide in-depth coverage of National Signing Day on RISEMAG.com, focusing on the top 25 recruits in each of the 25 markets that RISE publishes regionally customized issues.
….and my personal favorite….
* Mike Golic Jr., son of ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike in the Morning co-host Mike Golic, will be in studio at 7:05 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 6, National Signing Day, to officially sign his letter of intent to play at Notre Dame.
I was just asking myself today how I could get more Notre Dame in my daily routine. This will do just fine.
(Source: ESPN PR)