Last month, Root Sports announced that following the MLB All-Star Break in July, its networks would be rebranded as AT&T Sports Net. Well, Friday night was the first evening of games following the All-Star Break, and the rebrand was completed for the three networks that air MLB games (Pittsburgh, Houston, and Rocky Mountain), while Root Sports Northwest kept its name but took on the same graphics package as the other ex-Root affiliates.

With the rebrand came new graphics, and with new graphics came one of our favorite things to monitor – a new scorebug for all of the AT&T Sports Networks (and Root Sports Northwest).

And I have to say, the new scorebug is not exactly an improvement.

The new graphic is far too wide and seeps into the field of play a bit too much. And the networks are adding a variety of player and game specific graphics on top of the bug, extending it even more.

It’s even more ridiculous when the broadcast decides to show the strikezone plot during the middle of an at bat.

That’s more than a bit overwhelming.

For reference, here is how the graphics looked on Root Sports a week ago.

Alright, so the strikezone plot appears to be the same size, just shifted further up the screen. Because that’s such a great idea…

I also mentioned that Root Sports Northwest didn’t rebrand, but did implement the new graphics package. The Seattle Mariners broadcast on Friday night looked pretty similar to the Pirates, Astros, and Rockies telecasts, though the AT&T logo in the scorebug was replaced with a capital R.

All in all, this doesn’t seem like an improvement at all. Yes, the scorebug is cleaner, but it’s so much larger and in a less ideal spot of the screen.

Now I’m curious as to whether or not Fox rolls out a new graphics package this fall during the MLB Postseason. It seems like it’s been awhile since they’ve made a drastic change, and while I don’t think that they necessarily *need* to, it wouldn’t surprise me if something new is in the works for the playoffs and the 2018 season.

About Joe Lucia

I’m the managing editor of Awful Announcing and the news editor of The Comeback. I also made The Outside Corner a thing for six seasons.

  • bloodmando

    If AT&T acquisition of Time Warner hopefully gets approved I think the sport networks could be getting renamed once again to the Turner.

    • Genevievewross

      Google is paying 97$ per hour! Work for few hours and have longer with friends & family! !pa171d:
      On tuesday I got a great new Land Rover Range Rover from having earned $8752 this last four weeks.. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had.. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it
      ➽➽;➽➽ http://GoogleFinancialJobsCash171OfficeLinkGetPay$97Hour ★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★:::::!pa171l..,…

    • Seriously, the cosntant rebranding is a bad idea. ESPN and Sports Illustrated are much stronger brands than AT&T Sports or Spectrum Sports.

  • Respected Citizen

    I need to see the small of Jedd Gyorko’s back, dammit!

    • JFeltner

      This made me LOL

  • Mike Simonson

    Are you high? The thing isn’t that big. What are you missing, if the batter tied his shoelace before the at bat. And the whole k zone coverup, have you seen how much screen is taken during Tigers broadcast on FS Detroit. I didnt know awful announcing as meant awful reporting.

  • Steve

    Now if they can just get more tv providers to carry the channel so everyone can watch the games.. its hard to keep fans when they can’t watch their team play

  • 318north

    So why didn’t Root Sports NW join the AT&The party?

    • ChalupaB

      AT&T only own 40% of Root Sports Northwest. The Mariners own the remaining 60%. That might explain why.

  • ChalupaB

    I don’t mind the new graphics. It will be interesting to see what they do with the NBA and NHL.

  • John Danknich

    I love the new graphics. Root always came across as very… cheap. This is a vast improvement as far as I’m concerned.

  • Veckroshot80^9

    I’ve noticed bad changes in the broadcasts of Pirates games: They don’t show the pitch until the ball is at the plate making it impossible to get excited about a pitch. It also doesn’t feel like it’s a Pirates-based broadcast, as opposition players are on the screen 3/4 of the time. If a Pirate hits a double, a close up of the opposition pitcher/coach will be shown for 20 seconds. Plus, the announcers somehow find it necessary to tell every player’s life story and current happenings every at bat.