For the A's and their fans (me being one of them), it's a constant ebb and flow of optimism built around exceeding expectations and the disappointment that comes from the realities of their unique position. Take yesterday for example:
– A's single game playoff tickets went on sale, certainly something to celebrate.
– Owner Lew Wolff comes out bemoaning the attendance of late for the surging A's. Buzz kill!
– But post season ticket sales are so brisk from said apathetic fans, the A's opt to take tarps off the third deck, increasing capacity to close to 50k up from 35k. Who said baseball can't work in Oakland and this awful stadium!
– Towards the end of their game with the Angels, the A's are forced to watch from the stairs as the dugout toilet runs into sewage issues. Sewage issues are nothing new for the A's and visiting opponents.
– But the A's overcame the sewage and the lack of fans and won on a walkoff by Josh Donaldson, cutting their magic number to 6. This could be the year!
– And then this below from MLB.com.
Cool Hand Luke? Luke Donaldson? It's not like JOSH Donaldson is a scrub. He already was one of the more prominent All Star snubs and is by far the A's MVP this season. Most believe he'll finish the year in the top ten in AL MVP voting.
But he plays in Oakland. The city with little fans, sewage problems, and a prickly owner keen on moving the team down the road to San Jose. Such is life for the A's and their fans but credit to
Luke Josh as he seems to be taking it all in stride.
It's about the front not the back of the jersey!! pic.twitter.com/gCwlZhiLMG
— Josh Donaldson (@BringerOfRain20) September 18, 2013