John Sterling is no stranger to botched calls. The above audio from the Boomer & Carton show on WFAN in New York takes us through the latest from The Sterling Zone for what was a simple ground ball that Sterling called 37 different ways on the same play. All in the same sequence of events he managed to do the following:
1) Call a swinging strike and fly ball on the same pitch, neither of which actually happened.
2) Call a foul ball on a base hit as the batter goes to second and the throw makes the infield.
3) Call the same ball that kicked into the stands as one miraculously thrown into the infield.
4) Invoke a "grounds rule double."
5) Make up new rules about fair and foul balls.
Can you imagine John Sterling calling handball?