The second week of Straight Outta Stockton nominees are upon us, with announcing quotes that make Browns/Seahawks look like football artistry. Thankfully none of these broadcasters idiotically headbutted their partner in the booth (thanks for the memories, Red Bryant). The Dickies (our NFL version of the Pammies) will award the most humorous and offbeat announcer quotes every week for the rest of the NFL season. Can Scott Hanson hold his Dickies lead, or will some of our favorite announcers take the top spot this week?
As to how the Straight Outta Stockton vote works, each week we’ll nominate 15-20 quotes for you to pick the best 10. The winning quote of the week will earn that person 10 points all the way down to 1 point for 10th. Remember, you can vote for your favorite five quotes. Here are your Week 7 nominees…
1) “We welcome those of you who watched the Packers.” – Thom Brennaman (via JimWilliamsOnAir) introing an out of market audience to the GB/MIN game.
2) “He has a football coach’s mentality and a baseball manager’s head.” – Dick Stockton (via cfaris09) on Tony La Russa.
3) “Can you win a dancing competition with a man that has a beard?” – Greg Gumbel (via merfster1)
4) “Minnesota doesn’t need a touchdown here. all they have to do is move the ball and score a touchdown.” – Troy Aikman (via bjo109)
5) “This is the first time a team has suited up three 1st round picks at quarterback” – Dan Fouts (via Bill_Earley1) on the Raiders quarterbacks including Terrelle Pryor, not a first round pick.
6) “What you want to do here is run as much time off the clock, so you can run out the clock” – Warren Moon (via Real_DWM)
7) “Maybe they get back into things in the AFC South” – Chris Myers (via AdamLawsonEU) on the Panthers, who definitely play in the NFC South.
8) “He’s coming out blind, seeing a bunch of stuff.” – Brian Billick (via TheisJeff)
9) “Grab him by the waist and get into position” – Jim Mora (via steve5643)
10) “We got to get excited about something, let’s get excited about these punts!” – Kevin Harlan (via The506) on Denver/Miami.
11) Marv Albert: “Rich have you played overseas?”
Rich Gannon: “Yes, I have played in Mexico.” (via deisner17)
12) Ron Pitts: You’re old school.
Jim Mora: I don’t know what I am. (Sighing) I’m a broadcaster right now. (via JohnLewisSports)
13A) “He may be Private Munnerlyn after that play from Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott.” – Tim Ryan (via sctvman)
13B) “The Captain just became the Major.” – Tim Ryan (via AdamLawsonEU) with not one, but two Captain Munnerlyn puns.
14) “Watch him squirt through this hole and unload on contact.” – Jon Gruden (via ThisisERV)
15) “This is their version of the no-huddle. I know they‘re huddling up.” – Brian Billick (via jfishSOTW)
16) “It looks like they may throw the ball here.” Phil Simms (via MikeMarciano33) when the Jets go 5 wide…
17) “If you don’t have a nick-name in pro football you’re getting cut.” – Tim Ryan (via ShutdownLine)
Vote For Your Week 7 Dickies Nominees! (vote for up to five)
The winners will come Thursday morning so make sure you vote early and often and check back for the full NFL Week 8 announcing sked later this week!